Bushfire Rebuild

Rebuilding after bushfires?

The bushfires we experienced in November 2019 were something that I, personally, was definitely not prepared for. We are renovating our shed into a home in the near future and I will be taking the threat of bushfires much more seriously. We were very fortunate that we didn’t lose our home, even though the fires totally surrounded our property. But many others in the area weren’t as fortunate and will need to rebuild, and I can imagine that will be a very stressful time.

As BHI Builders were directly impacted by the fires, we want to see locals get back on their feet as soon as possible. To do our bit, anyone who lost their home in a bushfire and chooses BHI Builders to rebuild, we will provide council-approved plans for their rebuild, at no cost.

The NSW Government is continuing to make changes to planning rules and continuing to work with councils and state agencies on what else is needed to support the recovery and rebuilding effort.

  • Midcoast Council have waived all fees and charges relating to the redevelopment of properties identified by the RFS Building Impact Assessment Team as being damaged or destroyed by the bushfires. This includes all development application fees, construction certificates, complying development certificates and fees for septic systems.
  • Affected property owners can contact the Department to arrange for a BASIX Certificate to be issued free of charge. Councils can refer applicants to the BASIX bushfire recovery advice line. The contact number is 1300 054 464.
  • Residents who need to rebuild their home may want to live on their land while construction of their new home is underway. The Temporary Accommodation Policy(PDF) is available on the website and provides the guidelines.
    Amendments have been made to facilitate a number of temporary accommodation options for  residents, such as the installation of a movable dwelling or manufactured home. You will need to submit an application for temporary accommodation and it allows for a caravan, or registered or unregistered moveable dwelling to be used to occupy the property once a development consent, construction certificate or complying development certificate has been approved for the property.
    Another option is for residents to construct a secondary dwelling (granny flat) to live in while their main house is being constructed. This will only be possible where secondary dwellings are permitted (mainly residential zones). Further information on secondary dwellings can be found on the Planning Portal.
  • Amendments to the State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008 allow bushfire affected businesses to operate temporarily out of a shipping container and/or a portable office for up to two years without council approval, while they plan and rebuild their permanent premises.
  • For copies of plans and approvals for your property, please submit:
    Bushfire Recovery – Informal request for access to information application Bushfire recovery applications will be given priority and processed as soon as possible.
  • For general information on rebuilding or repairing your damaged home, go to the NSW Government’s Department of Planning, Industry and Environment website.

If you have any questions about any of the information, the process and getting started, or just about BHI Builders, I’d be more than happy to talk with you and would love to help you get started on your journey of rebuilding from the ashes.


– Mitch, BHI Builders


Rebuilding after the fires

Please feel welcome to contact us to get your new rebuild started. We also offer a free downloadable guide to your building project that holds valuable information that we have gained over years of experience in the industry.